Listed on this page are the guidelines and procedures for school closures, delays, early dismissal, ect. Also listed below are the families of schools for both the Public Schools Branch and the French Language School Board.
All school cancellations will be announced on local radio stations and posted on social media by 7:00 AM. In some instances it may only be necessary to close an individual school or a family of schools. Partial school closures or delays will be announced by family of schools. (See below)
One Hour Delay
If a decision on cancellation cannot be made by 7:00 AM, a one hour delay will be announced whereby all schools and buses will operate one hour later than usual. If necessary, a further announcement will be made by 8:00 AM.
In some instances, even in fine weather, buses may be delayed. Parents will be notified via radio broadcast that a bus will be delayed (i.e. Bus #97 is running 30 minutes late).
It may be necessary to close a school or a family of schools part way through a school day for weather related concerns. Detailed announcements will be made on local radio stations and posted on social media.
Parents who will not be at home when children arrive are responsible for making alternate arrangements for the care of their children on such days. Please notify the school of these changes as soon as possible.
Should Transportation Infrastructure Renewal and/or the RCMP recommend that school buses remain off Island roads, students may be required to remain at school beyond their normal dismissal time (unless picked up by a parent or designate). Announcements will be made on local radio stations and posted on social media.
On days when classes are in session, and the low temperature combined with wind provides a wind chill of -20 or below, students will not be required to go outside at recess or lunch, or remain outside upon morning arrival.
Suggestions for Parents/Guardians:
- The final decision to attend school or to travel to school via school bus always rests with the parent/guardian.
- Please do not drop children off at school unless you are certain that school is operating that day and that staff are present to supervise the children.
- Please listen to the radio and check social media websites frequently between 6:00 AM and 7:00 AM daily to determine if schools are operating. Every effort will be made to have announcements broadcast by 7:00 AM.
- Please do not call the school, school board office, or the radio stations for information on cancellations or delays. Such calls tie up telephone lines which may be needed for emergency use.
Public Schools Branch
Contact: 1-800-280-7965 (Toll-free) | Website
Bluefield Family of Schools
- Bluefield Senior High School
- East Wiltshire Intermediate School
- Central Queens Elementary School
- Eliot River Elementary School
- Englewood School
- Gulf Shore Consolidated School
- Westwood Primary School
Charlottetown Family of Schools
- Charlottetown Rural Senior High School
- Colonel Gray Senior High School
- Birchwood Intermediate School
- Donagh Regional School
- Glen Stewart Primary School
- L. M. Montgomery Elementary School
- Parkdale Elementary School
- Prince Street Elementary School
- Queen Charlotte Intermediate School
- Sherwood Elementary School
- Spring Park Elementary School
- St. Jean Elementary School
- Stonepark Intermediate School
- Stratford Elementary School
- West Kent Elementary School
- West Royalty Elementary School
Kensington Family of Schools
- Kensington Intermediate Senior High School
- Queen Elizabeth Elementary School
Kinkora Family of Schools
- Kinkora Regional High School
- Amherst Cove Consolidated School
- Somerset Consolidated School
Montague Family of Schools
- Montague Regional High School
- Belfast Consolidated School
- Cardigan Consolidated School
- Georgetown Elementary School
- Montague Consolidated School
- Montague Intermediate School
- Southern Kings Consolidated School
- Vernon River Consolidated School
Morell Family of Schools
- Morell Regional High School
- Morell Consolidated School
- Mt. Stewart Consolidated School
Souris Family of Schools
- Souris Regional School
Three Oaks Family of Schools
- Three Oaks Senior High School
- Athena Consolidated School
- Elm Street Elementary School
- Greenfield Elementary School
- Miscouche Consolidated School
- Parkside Elementary School
- Summerside Intermediate School
Westisle Family of Schools
- Westisle Composite High School
- Alberton Elementary School
- Bloomfield Elementary School
- Ellerslie Elementary School
- Hernewood Intermediate School
- M. E. Callaghan Intermediate School
- O’Leary Elementary School
- St. Louis Elementary School
- Tignish Elementary School
French Language School Board
Contact: (902) 854-2975 | Website
The French Language School Board in PEI always follows the direction of the Public Schools Branch when it comes it closures, delays, early dismissal, ect. Listed below are the French Schools and their families and also listed in brackets are the Public Schools Branch family in which they follow.
- Évangéine, Abram-Village (Three Oaks Family)
- Sur-Mer, Summerside (Three Oaks Family)
- Pierre-Chiasson, Deblois (Westisle Family)
- François-Buote, Charlottetown (Charlottetown Family)
- St-Augustin, Rustico (Bluefield Family)
- La-Belle-Cloche, Fortune Bridge (Souris Family)